The easiest way to get out of a DUI is to not get one in the first place. With that in mind, here are some easy and essential tips to help stop the problem before it starts.
1. If you know you’ll be drinking, make the decision not to drive before you start drinking. Driving your car to a bar and “playing it by ear” is a bad idea. By the time you make the decision on whether you are sober enough to drive, your decision making ability has already been impaired by alcohol. At this point you are very unlikely to make a wise decision.
2. Drink less than 1 drink per hour. This one is tricky, because drinks vary in size and in alcohol content. This standard rule is for a relatively low alcohol 12 oz. beer, a 5 oz. pour of relatively low alcohol wine, or a 1.5 oz. shot of 80 proof liquor. Most drinks are either larger pours or higher alcohol content so be sure to know all the facts when rationing your alcohol.
3. Eat food. Food absorbs alcohol in the stomach and slows its release into the bloodstream. This makes it significantly easier to remain unimpaired when consuming alcohol in moderation.
4. Wait for a time after finishing your last drink before driving. If you get behind the wheel immediately after finishing a drink you may be capable of safely driving when you begin your journey, only to become impaired half-way home.
5. When in doubt, call Uber. If you’re not sure how much you drank, or even if you feel only slightly intoxicated, don’t drive. The price of a DUI dwarfs the price of a taxi or Uber ride. Leave your car where you are and retrieve it in the morning.
Current Post Comments:
Recent Blog Posts
- Bill Cosby Continues to Stave Off Rape Charges
- Texting and Driving: Worse than DUI?
- Do I Need A Criminal Lawyer?
- Can you Go to Prison for Texting?
- Bill Cosby Trial Begins
- Tiger Woods and the Opioid Epidemic
- Smash and Grab Thefts on the Rise
- What to Do When the Police Serve You a Search Warrant
- A Supreme Court Win for Innocent People
- How can the fourth amendment protect you in a criminal defense allegation?