In August 2015, Colorado passed the felony DUI bill. And what that did is made it a felony if someone receives a DUI after having three or more prior DUIs. Now those priors could be in this state or any other state.Prior to that, all DUIs were a misdemeanor, doesn't matter how many priors you had before, and they were punishable by up to one year in the county jail. Now with this new felony DUI law, it's punishable by 2-6 years in the Department of Corrections, in addition to having a felony on your record.
We are seeing a whole lot of these cases being charged now and prosecutors being really aggressive with them. We are seeing people who are being sent to prison on a fourth DUI for a number of years, where before they would have just had one year in county jail. It's really important if you're charged with felony DUI, you need to speak to someone. Our office has over 25 years of experience handling these kinds of cases. Now whether you talk to us or whether you talk to someone else, you need to speak to someone. Because if you don't, it's very likely you're going to end up going to prison.
These cases are winnable and there are defenses to them; and there's mitigation that you can present; and there are ways to really minimize your outcomes in this case. So if you or if a loved one has been charged with felony DUI, give us a call, we can help.
Current Post Comments:
Recent Blog Posts
- Hemp, Formerly Scourge of Civilization, Reclassified as a Plant
- Imagining a New Police Force
- Top Tips from the Best DUI Lawyers
- Should It Be Hard to Find Someone Guilty?
- Glamour! Passion! Gigantic Robes! The Supreme Court Appointment Process
- Lethal Justice: Details of the Death Penalty
- Concealed Guns on College Campuses: The Debate Continues
- Case Suppression: Should You Be Worried?
- Think Twice Before You Send Weed Through The Mail
- When Bail Becomes Jail