Colin McCallin Feb. 4, 2015

Concealed Weapons Violations in Colorado

In Colorado, we have specific procedures in place for a person to get a concealed weapon and we call this permit a “CCW”. We’re first going to talk about situations in which you don’t need a CCW. You are able to have a firearm in your home, in your car or your place of business.

As long as it’s secured, you don’t need a CCW permit. In just about every other situation though, you do need to obtain a permit. You need to do that by applying with Sheriff’s Office in the county in which you reside. Colorado is a “may issue state,”, meaning you aren’t issued a CCW as a matter of right. Certain statutory requirements have to be in place. For example if you’re a convicted felon, if you’ve got a domestic violence conviction on your record, if you’re under 21, and if you have a restraining order against you, you’re not going to be able to get a CCW.

But once you’ve been issued the permit, you’re going to have that permit for five years. You have to reapply after the five year period but that permit allows you to carry a firearm in public, in most situations. In Colorado, you can “open carry,” meaning you can arm yourself publicly with a weapon in most areas of the state.

The City and County of Denver, however has banned open carry in the city limits. This ordinance has been upheld by the Supreme Court of Colorado as constitutional. Some other municipalities restrict open carry around government buildings and parks as well, but for the most part, Coloradans can wear a firearm publicly anywhere else in the state. Every state has its own laws regarding firearms, whether they relate to open carry or CCW. It is important to know the law of every state; this includes transporting firearms from one state to another.

What may be allowed in one state may be prohibited in another, perhaps federally as well. If you have questions about laws related to firearms in Colorado, or if you are charged with a crime involving firearms, give us a call at Hebets & McCallin. We can help.